Saturday, January 9, 2010

Next step

Tomorrow, the WL, our staff liaison, is doing a short ministry moment in each service to promote C-Groups.  My wife and I have gathered pictures and testimonies from those who have participated in small groups over the last three years (nearly 4) and have put together a tri-fold board and testimony page to promote C-Groups and garner attention.  Right now, I am in a catch 22.  I want to get more attention for the ministry, but at the same time I don't want to get people's hopes up when I don't have leaders to start new groups yet.

On the 17th, after our 3rd service, we are having a meeting just to see who is interested in leading a small group, and also to find out what training they need.  My recommendations are three-fold:  1) if they have prior experience leading a small group, I am willing to led them seek out new group members, provided their theology is sound and their hearts appear right; 2) if they do not have prior experience, I believe they might need some time, a proofing period--if you will, as an apprentice in another group with plans to launch a new group out of the original within 6 months; 3) if they have interest in leading but are very unsure, maybe they need to spend a significant amount of time in another C-Group, first to learn what it is like and then also to spend time as an apprentice.

Our church is trying to promote the equipping model, and this works itself out extremely well in small group ministry.  You never lead alone.  You always take someone with you and share ministry.  It means that things are not as efficient, but more people grow to learn to serve (to love God and others) in this process.

I pray that the right people come forward--that they have hearts willing to serve God and passions to connect people to God and others.  I also pray that I have the wisdom I need to help train them, to equip them to serve as God calls them.

No comments:

Post a Comment