Sunday, November 15, 2009

Thought update--3 Commandments and a Job Description

The sermon this morning touched on missions involvement and giving, pointing to the Matthew 28 and Acts 1 verses, and it got me to thinking.  I read on Chip Ingram's website a week ago that Barna was commissioned to do a survey of spiritual growth among pastors and lay people.  One point of interest is that pastors often do not put out a measuring stick of what spiritual maturity should look like, especially because they do not want believers to just become better "rule-followers."  I totally agree...but still how to show lay members to focus of their growth.

This may be way too simple, but here's a thought:

If Christ gave us those three commands and a job description, why aren't those the measuring stick of spiritual maturity, both for individuals and for the church corporate?

1.  How much am I truly loving God with all my heart, soul, mind, and strength?
2.  How much am I truly loving neighbors, those whom God has placed around me to influence, as I love myself?
3.  How much am I leading others to be students of Jesus (regardless of my vocation)?
4.  How much am I telling the story of how Jesus has impacted my life to those around me?

You cannot have 3 and 4 without 1 and 2 first.  3 and 4 can become "rule-following," but if you love God and others first, 3 and 4 become a natural overflow of your life instead of rules to check off.

I need to let this marinate a bit further to find real, practical application, but I do think there is something to these 4 items as a goal for spiritual maturity.

No comments:

Post a Comment