Saturday, November 14, 2009

New Start tomorrow

Tomorrow is a new beginning for my wife and I.

We began our first group in July of 2006.  Since then, we stayed with that group through September of 2008, participated in another group from October of 2007 through December of 2008, and we started another group this past March that finished last week.

God has led us to lead a singles group (ages 19-36), sit under the leadership of a friend in a younger married couples group (early 20s through 30s) and then lead an intergenerational group, (late 20s through late 60s).

Tomorrow, we begin a new venture.  Four married couples are coming together to form a new group.  Two couples are coming from another group that also began in March but had a rocky start with leadership.  One couple was in this last group with us.  So, we are forming one new group out of two former groups.

As we begin, I have to say I am somewhat nervous.  I know that my heart is in the right place, desiring to serve these couples.  I want them to learn to love God and each other more, and I want to see their lives transformed as Christ works in their lives.  I want to see God's Word prevail in our discussions and reactions.  To be honest, I haven't had been a great leader.  I have learned a lot in the experiences that God has provided, and I have had to learn humility, often the hard way.  I have very strong convictions about what small groups should look like, but I can't like my convictions run over these friends.

I was blessed a couple nights ago.  One guy from the other former group is a part of my accountability group.  We were talking about the group coming together, and he specifically mentioned the idea of each group member using their gifts.  I was (internally) ecstatic.  In our first group, my wife and I were worn down and even burned out because we did everything.  We led the discussion, did all the social planning, did all the communication, etc.  We realized that we could never function in a group like that again.  To hear him say that he realized that was important without me even talking about it, needless to say it was music to my ears.

I pray that God gives me the words to speak tomorrow as we meet for the first time.  We are meeting for lunch just to get to know what each person wants and needs, and what we really are capable of providing as a group.  It is in His hands for His glory.

On a church level, I was contacted today with a name for a couple that want to get involved in small groups.  I realize, however, that I don't really have a group to refer them to.  We just aren't far enough along in our structure.  I pray that God gives me clarity in how to respond to those who are interested while I am waiting for God to provide in His timing.

No comments:

Post a Comment